Optimal Nutrition during pregnancy is very important. A well-nourished woman has good reserves of nutrients that are needed for the growing fetus as well as her own health. A well-nourished fetus has good prospects on the way to good physical and mental health during his life. On the other hand the reverse is also true; an under-nourished fetus has several risks on the way to good physical and mental health during his life. The effect of under nutrition during pregnancy will vary depending upon the nutrients involved. It is not just mere calories that are required for growth of fetus; the development of fetus depends on various other nutrients as well. So it is very! Yes, very important for a new mother to get all the essential nutrients through a balanced diet, the requirement of which is more during pregnancy.
Nutrients requirement during pregnancy increases because of:
- Growth of the maternal tissues, placentas, fetus.
- The enlargement of the uterus, mammary glands.
- Increase in maternal circulation blood volume
Diet Chart recommendations:
- Proteins are the building block of our body.
- Proteins are important for Growth and maintenances of muscles.
- Proteins requirement for Adult-(1gm/body weight (kg)/day) in pregnancy the requirement is increased by 30%.
- Source of Proteins- Milk, egg, Fish, meat, nuts, pulses, whole grains etc.
Vitamins – All the vitamins especially water soluble vitamins [vitamin B, Vitamin C] and other vitamin like Vitamin A, vitamin D and folic acid requirement is increased during pregnancy.
- Vitamin A requirement is increased by 25% over the normal requirement.
- Source- egg yolk, butter, liver etc
- Vitamin C requirement during Pregnancy 85mg/day.
- Vitamin C is important to absorption of iron in the body.
- Vitamin C increases the immunity.
- Source-Amla, lemon, orange, guava etc.
- Vitamin D is important because it increase the maternal calcium absorption.
- Source- Sun light in the morning ,milk,liver, egg yolk
- All Vitamin B (B1, B2, B6, and B12) requirementsare increase during pregnancy.
- Source-egg etc.
The two most important minerals Calcium and iron needs increase amount during pregnancy.
- Calcium is required for the growth and development of the bones and tooth buds in the growing foetus.
- Calcium is important for blood clot mechanism.
- Source- Milk and Milk products, legumes etc.
- Calcium requirement during pregnancy- 1000mg/day.
- Woman requires more iron than a man.
- Iron requirement during pregnancy 27mg/day.
- Source- egg yolk, Liver, green leafy vegetables etc
Although other nutrients like Fatty acids, all essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals are also as important as above mentioned one, so balance your diet chart keeping in mind overall good health for both mom and fetus.